ClassCast Podcast Ep.038 features writer, traveler, and teacher Janet LoSole, author of Adventure by Chicken Bus: An Unschooling Odyssey through Central America. Janet is an experienced world traveler and ESL teacher who advocates for a special brand of homeschooling or unschooling -- "world schooling." In this episode, we discuss what world schooling is, why people do it, what kinds of families pursue the option, and what can be learned. We also address travel, educational freedom, books, and more. If you've ever thought about taking an extended field trip with family -- foreign or domestic -- you MUST learn more about world schooling and how travel can create the curriculum you need to learn everything from traditional school and more. In particular, listeners who enjoyed our recent episode about unschooling with Catina Franklin Sweedy will find a lot to think about in this conversation.
As always, be sure to like, follow, share, retweet, follow, subscribe, comment, and all that jazz wherever you get your podcasts!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Intro/What Is World Schooling? -- 1:17 - 10:40
- World Schooling: Language, Family, & Duration -- 16:31 - 27:08
- How Language Impacts Travel -- 27:09 - 34:41
- World Schooling Networks & Support -- 34:42 - 38:52
- Is World Schooling for Rich People? -- 42:15 - 50:53
- The Chicken Bus & the Book -- 50:58 - 59:04
- Janet's Ideal (Un)School -- 1:00:24 - 1:12:05
- Book/Movie Recommendations -- 1:12:05 - 1:17:19
- Seeing Poverty Up Close -- 1:17:20 - 1:22:05
Leave a Reply.
Where philosophy, policy, pedagogy, & people come together in honest, purposeful conversations about improving school & education for our students & our communities.